A Part of the 25th Celebration Anniversary of REALTORS® 2011
The Citizens Hall of Fame is a unique awards program that celebrates and recognizes local citizens whom have made outstanding contributions to our city. Can you imagine Winnipeg without the floodway or what has been called ‘Duff’s Ditch’ in honour of 1992 inductee and former Manitoba premier Duff Roblin for his vision and tenacity in ensuring the floodway was built in the first place!
What about 2010 Citizens Hall of Fame inductee Terry Fox? Through his sheer determination and willpower, his marathon of hope has set the wheels in motion and millions of people in movement to raise over $500 million in support of cancer research. Besides being nominated by local resident Norma Currie for his voluntary service, Terry Fox was also classified under ‘Other’ as a world hero. Terry was born and spent the early years of his life in Winnipeg and still to this day has deep roots back to Winnipeg and Manitoba on both sides of his parent’s family.
Why a writing challenge?
Quite simply because by participating in such a challenge, our youth have much to gain by learning more about how citizens locally can make a difference in our community. Are there things students are doing now or can do to make Winnipeg a city they are proud to call home? How can they apply the traits exhibited by Citizens Hall of Fame inductees to affect their own lives positively so one day they may in fact be nominated as a deserving inductee in the Citizens Hall of Fame? For teachers this is an excellent way to integrate English Language Arts and Social Studies with Technology. Using the attached rubric it can be a part of your term work for assessment and students learn about someone new from Winnipeg.
Task: The Winnipeg Citizens Hall of Fame invites Grade 4 to Grade 11 students in the Winnipeg area school divisions to submit a piece of writing that explains how an inductees’ accomplishments has inspired you to do something significant and make a difference in your community.
Intent: To learn how Winnipeg citizens make a difference in our community. To discover about historic and current prominent Winnipeg Citizens who helped create the city and learn about the contributions they made.
Criteria: Go to the web site www.winnipegfame.ca and click on Inductees for a list of who has been selected, or choose someone who you think has made a contribution to Winnipeg who has not been selected.
- Make your choice
- Use the Winnipeg Citizens Hall of Fame web site, as well as other resources such as Manitoba Archives, Winnipeg Free Press Archives, City of Winnipeg Archives, and Google, to find information about your inductee
- Learn and explain about your inductee(s)’ accomplishments
- Use a research organizer and the rubric to help you get started.
- Decide on the format
- All submissions must be received by December 1, 2011.
- Writing Challenges chosen to proceed will receive notification if they have been selected for final submission
- Write your rough draft, create a good copy and then submit your final copy to: Citizens Hall of Fame firstname.lastname@example.org
- A completed registration form must accompany the submission, will be available on line
To further help you with your writing choice:
- Must be a minimum of 500 words and not exceed 1000 words in length.
- All entries need to be legibly written or word processed or digital (can be submitted in PDF format).
- Must show demonstration of research and sources used
- Creativity in writing and anecdotes to illustrate how this citizen has inspired you would be an asset
Choice of Format:
- Pod cast
- Letter Format
- Power Point
Submission Deadline: December 1, 2011